Any suggestions in terms of drinks/electrolytes?

Alex

Alex
Total Posts:  2
Joined  27-05-2013

07 July 2013 11:28

Do you have any suggestions in terms of drinks/electrolytes that might be useful as it gets hotter?? A mountain biker suggested Endurolytes pills by Hammer Nutrition. Ingredients are: sodium (40mg), chloride (60mg), calcium (50mg), magnesium (25mg), potassium (25mg), vitamin B-6 (6.6mg) and manganese (1.6mg) Any thoughts???

Lee Watts

Lee Watts
Total Posts:  32
Joined  12-05-2011

07 February 2014 17:21

Supplementation depends on diet and activity.  The Endurolyte pills look like a good combination of vitamin and mineral supplements for a lot of sports but maybe not enough of certain nutrients for the running you are doing depending on your diet.
Eat frequent and well rounded meals for high performance.  Plus you can safely supplement Potassium up to 99mg during days when you expect to sweat a lot.  You can get Potassium pills from Whole Foods as well as the MegaFood multi I mention below for general vitamin and mineral insurance.
In general I recommend a well rounded diet and the MegaFood’s Men’s One Daily for men and women (women may need additional supplements of Iron at times).  The MegaFood multi is a whole food (as opposed to pharmaceutical) supplement.  So, you will likely ingest more vitamins and minerals even though it is lower potency than pharmaceutical multis.  Also, the trend is to take them in the evening to enhance recover while you sleep.  Hopefully this won’t keep you awake.  It doesn’t bother me.  In the past, high potency pharmaceutical multis have kept me awake at night.

Warnings. People with kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, Addison’s disease, stomach ulcers, or other health problems should never take potassium supplements without talking to a doctor first.