460 mg of cholestrol?  Too much? 

Terrel

Terrel
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-11-2011

27 May 2013 09:33

I just looked at the detailed MyFoodDiary report and the cholesterol was in red. This comes from the 2 scrambled eggs = 2 egg whites this morning. Will I be okay with my cholesterol?

Lee Watts

Lee Watts
Total Posts:  32
Joined  12-05-2011

27 May 2013 12:22

Consuming fats / cholesterol is OK for most people.  Cholesterol is necessary for cell integrity. Your cells make their own cholesterol as well as acquire it from your blood. The key is to not consume more carbohydrates than you require for your sport and daily activities.  This is why:  Eat too many carbohydrates -> blood sugar becomes too high -> pancreas releases insulin -> insulin lowers blood sugar but also triggers an enzyme which signals cells to create cholesterol -> cells create more cholesterol which reduces their need to acquire it from your blood -> cells don’t acquire as much cholesterol from your blood -> blood cholesterol is high. There are a number of health problems that can lead to death if people continually accelerate this chain of events by consuming too many carbohydrates. Unless you naturally produce high amounts of cholesterol, you can consume fats (preferably unsaturated) / cholesterol if you DO NOT consume too many carbohydrates. Also, remember that low carbohydrates doesn’t mean “No” carbohydrates.  Your brain needs them to function properly and well.  So don’t wait too long before meals and health snacks.

Last but not least, athletes need the right amount of carbohydrates during endurance training. A low carbohydrate diet is not appropriate and unhealthy during endurance training.